- What is a VPS?
- What is the different between a VPS and Shared Hosting?
- What is the different between a VPS and Dedicated Server?
- What is the different between a VPS and Cloud Server?
- What are the available virtualization technologies for VPS servers?
- What Operating Systems Are Available For VPS Servers
- What are some known providers with VPS server offers?
- Can I find a VPS server for less than 5 dollars per month?
- Can I find a FREE VPS server for learning?
- Can I find FREE VPS servers for my Startup?
- Can I find FREE VPS servers for our Non-profit organization?
- What are the important things to take into consideration when choosing a VPS?
- Do I need a VPS server or Shared Hosting for my blog?
- What are the types of VPS server management?
- What are some common issues with VPS hosting?
- Can I Find a VPS Server With Multiple IPv4 addresses?
- Can I Find a VPS Server With IPv6 addresses?
- Can I Find a VPS Server With Unlimited Monthly Bandwidth?
- What Are The Available Storage Technologies Used For VPS?
- How Can I Ensure That The IP Address of My New VPS is Clean?
A VPS is a Virtual Private Server (Also called Virtual Machine). It is hosted in a Dedicated Server using a Virtualization technology. To learn more, you can watch this video What is a Virtual Private Server (VPS)?
There are many differences between these two types of hosting. They include performance, security, etc.
In a dedicated server, the entire resources (CPU, RAM, Storage, bandwidth, etc) are assigned to one customer. In a VPS platform, a virtualization technology is used to divide the dedicated server resources into multiple parts (Virtual Private Servers). All the VPS servers hosted in a dedicated server share the physical resources.
From the end user perspective, the main difference is the resource usage billing. Cloud servers are usually billed per hour or per month. From the infrastructure perspective, cloud servers use resources (storage, etc) from a cluster to ensure scalability, hight availability, etc. Your can rd more in this article
The virtualization technologies used by VPS hosting providers include:
- KVM (for Kernel-based Virtual Machine):
You can use the “Virtualization Platform” filter in the Server comparison Engine to easily filter the VPS server offers that fit your technology requirements.
Different operating systems are available for VPS servers. The providers usually (depends on the used virtualization technology) allow customers to choose the operating system to be deployed when buying a new VPS server or reinstalling it. In the VPS server market, we have providers with offers with one or multiple operating systems:
- Different flavours and versions of Linux (CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, etc),
- Different versions of Windows Server,
- Windows Desktop,
- FreeBDS, …
There ate thousands of Web Hosting providers. These are some of the well known brands: Scaleway, DigitalOcean, Vultr, Virmach, OVH, Canadianwebhosting, Turnkeyinternet, Hostwinds, etc
You can use the Server comparison Engine to easily find the VPS server offers that fit your needs within your budget and in the location of your choice. WebHostingSaver.com™ Compare VPS, Dedicated, … Servers Worldwide. An Impartial comparison using different criteria. 200.000+ Aggregated Reviews, 1.000+ Providers, 3.000+ Offers, 40+ Countries.
Absolutely. The VPS server hosting market is very competitive and you can easily find VPS server offers starting at $2 per month.
You can use the Server comparison Engine to easily find cheap VPS server offers that fit your needs within your budget and in the location of your choice.
There are some providers who have discounts and free hosting offers for education (students, teachers and researchers).
Check this list of Free Web Hosting Services For Students, Educators and Researchers
There are some providers who have discounts and free hosting offers for startups
Check this list of Free Web Hosting Services For Startups
Some providers have special offers and even free offers for non profit organizations. You can also take a look to the free tier offers from Amazon (AWS, etc). We will be publishing a list of these providers in our Servers Comparison Engine.
Choosing a good VPS server for your business or blog is critical. There are many things to be taken into consideration. First of all, you have to understand your needs and specific requirements. This will help you estimate the budget and choose the right location for your server.
To learn more about the selection criteria, you can read these 35 Things to Consider When Choosing Your Web Hosting Provider
It really depends on the requirements and specific needs. In most cases, a shared hosting plan is sufficient to start a bog. In some situations, a VPS server may be needed (performance, security, etc)
There are two types of VPS server management: Managed VPS Servers and Unmanaged VPS Servers
You can use the “Server Management” filter in the Server comparison Engine to easily find the VPS server offers that fit your needs.
The issues related to VPS hosting services (Also applies for dedicated servers, shared hosting and cloud server hosting) can be categorized into the following categories:
- Issues caused by the Web Hosting Provider: Bad technical and non technical quality of service quality. Issues related to the infrastructure availability and its security. (If your server is unreachable at 2AM and need help from your provider support team, are they available for you, or you have to wait until the guys start their shift!)
- Issues related to the VPS server itself: This depends on the reliability of the underlying hardware and infrastructure used by the provider to host the VPS servers. An example is when the provider over sells server resources (which may impact customer servers’ performance).
- Issues caused by the Customer: Abuse, spam activities, hacking (non secure server or application) or other technical issues (misconfiguration, etc.). The issues may also be related to other layers (the application hosted in the VPS, etc).
- Issues caused by other VPS services customers: Like Spam, network attacks, or any other abusive activities performed by other customers which may impact you if the entire network IP network block (/24, … /xx) is blacklisted.
- Most providers include ONE IP address with VPS servers.
- Some of the providers, as part of their customer acquisition strategies, offer multiple IPv4 addresses with their VPS servers.
- You can also in some cases add new IPv4 addresses (Additional IPs) for an extra monthly fee. (Not all of the providers offer additional IPs).
You can use the “IPv4 Addresses” filter in the Server comparison Engine to easily find the VPS server offers that fit your needs based on the number of IPv4 you want.
Some of the providers have their VPS infrastructure IPv6-ready.
You can use the “IPv6 Available” filter in the Server comparison Engine to easily find the VPS server offers that fit your needs based on the number of IPv4 you want.
Absolutely! Some of the providers offers VPS servers with unlimited monthly bandwidth usage. You have to check the terms of services and confirm with the provider if needed to avoid unwanted frustration.
You can use the “Unlimited Monthly Bandwidth” filter in the Server comparison Engine to easily find the VPS server offers that fit your needs based on the number of IPv4 you want.
In the market, you can find VPS servers using one of the following storage technologies (the most common):
SATA hard drives SSD hard drives NVMe hard drives SAS hard drives
You can learn more about SSDs vs Hard Drives as Fast As Possible
You can use the “Disk Storage Type” filter in the Server comparison Engine to easily find the VPS server offers that fit your storage technology needs.
This is an important check to do as soon as your new server is deployed. You have to ensure that the assigned IP address is clean and not blacklisted.
You can use different tools online to check the reputation of your new VPS server IP address:
New questions will be added soon!
WebHostingSaver.com (Formerly WH.PerfectDeals.Today) is a FREE Meta-Search and Comparison Engine built by CITWeb.ca. Comparing Thousands of Web Hosting offers usually takes hours or even days. With this new Easy-to-use solution Web Hosting Meta-Search and Comparison Engine, the same task can be performed instantly. It helps professionals and businesses save time & money, get better for less. Offers comparison is based on aggregated reviews (200.000+ reviews), technical specs, location, pricing and more! WebHostingSaver.com is the ONE-STOP solution that helps IT professionals and businesses find the perfect & cheapest Web Hosting Offers that fit their needs within their budget. Your can read more here WebHostingSaver.com